Saturday, October 20, 2012

The New Norm for Breakfast

So, one of my Facebook friends recently posted an article about how cereal is bad for you because of the high heat used in the extrusion process.  Not totally sure which friend or which article, but here is a similar article.  Anyway, it turned me off to regular boxed cereal, which has been a staple in our home.  I need breakfasts that are quick!  So, now, we eat oatmeal, homemade granola, healthy bars, and frozen waffles/pancakes/french toast that I've made on the weekend and stored. 


My original granola recipe came from the sweet lady over at Cook's Cottage.  I've made a whole bunch of variations on her recipe.  This weekend, I added pecans, dried cherries, and dried blueberries.  A couple weeks ago, it was almonds and raisins (golden and regular).  This may not be the exact original recipe, but it is close:

Mix together:
5 cups oats (I use a variety of rolled grains)
Your mix-ins (nuts, coconut, dried fruits, etc)
1/2 cup powdered milk

On the stovetop, heat until bubbly:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey (you can use other sweeteners, such as maple syrup)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil today for something new)

Pour the sugar/oil mix over the oat mix and blend well.

Cook in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool.  Break into pieces and store in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment