Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Make Your Own REMINERALIZING TOOTHPASTE

It is easy to make your own toothpaste and it comes with great health benefits. 

From what I understand, the ingredients in regular storebought toothpaste coat your teeth such that minerals your teeth need cannot be absorbed.  Plus, they contain unhealthy ingredients such as sugar and flouride.  Making homemade toothpaste with xylitol, which has been shown to prevent cavities, is a great alternative.  You can read some of the other benefits in this article.

I am not fond of the flavor of this recipe, but I LOVE how my teeth feel when I use it.  Our family will be making our own toothpaste from here on out!


Here is the recipe that came from "Everyday Paleo", modified slightly with my own preferences:

  • 5 Tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate
  • 2 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
  • 4 Tablespoons of Xylitol
  • 1 Tablespoon Liquid Castille Soap
  • 3-5 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (amount varies with personal preference for texture)
  • 20+ drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
  • 10 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract (optional-to preserve longer)

  • After mixing the ingredients, I put it into little baby food storage containers and give one to each family member. 

    2 comments:

    1. I am interested in knowing where you found the ingredients. Particularly:

      Calcium Carbonate
      Xylitol
      Peppermint Essential Oil
      Grapefruit Seed Extract

      I tried to find an edible peppermint essential oil and I couldn't find one that said that it was edible and the folks at the stores couldn't help me either... so I am really interested in this.

      Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I ordered these on Amazon...the ingredients are linked to the ones I purchased for us. I don't know if the peppermint is edible...but since it gets spit out, I wasn't worried. I wonder about using peppermint extract???

        Delete